What to do with it when you're done with it
Select the item you want to dispose of.

Step 1: Your Community is

Wellington County



  • Bottles, jars, jugs, tubs, and other plastic packaging that previously contained food & beverage, health & beauty, or household cleaning & laundry products. e.g. Rigid clear & coloured packaging containers such as pop, water, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, bleach, windshield washer fluid, shampoo, detergent, kitty litter, salad dressing, medicine / vitamins (types with screw top lids), spirits, ice cream, margarine, yogurt, veggie dip, lotion, vegetable oil, clear egg cartons, frozen food trays, cookie trays, cake & bakery trays
  • Motor oil and pesticide containers, plastic bags, Styrofoam, prescription vials/bottles, reusable plastic food containers, planting pots/trays, shrink wrap, toys, plates, laundry baskets, meat trays, hangers, cutlery

Tetra paks and drink cartons

  • Milk, cream, juice, and soup containers


  • Clear & coloured food & beverage container packaging, such as pickle, mayonnaise, salad dressing, pop, juice, wine, beer, spirits
  • Drinking glasses, plates, coffee cups, window glass, ceramics, light bulbs, mirrors, any broken glass


  • Disposable baking pans, fruit cups, oven liners, fast food trays (not lids), beer cans
  • Pots & pans, aerosol & paint cans, hangers, cutlery, scrap metal, snack/chip bags


  • Food & beverage container packaging, such as tuna cans, vegetable cans, pet food cans, pop cans, coffee tins, soup cans
  • Pots & pans, aerosol & paint cans, hangers, cutlery, scrap metal, snack/chip bags


  • Newspapers & flyers, magazines & catalogues, phone books and directories, clean paper egg cartons and clean take-out trays, fine paper (e.g. envelopes, computer paper, soft/hard covered books, index cards, file folders, reports, paper bags, sticky notes, flyers & junk mail, etc.)
  • Laminated papers, any papers with foreign materials attached, paper cups, paper towels, toilet paper, wooden orange crates, carbon paper, photographic paper, blueprint paper, facial tissue, thermal fax paper, art work, cards (with foil, plastic, ribbon or lamination)


  • Cereal boxes, toilet paper rolls, pop boxes, cigarette packages, toothpaste boxes, tissue boxes, soap boxes, frozen food boxes, paper ice cream containers
  • Bristol board, construction paper


  • Corrugated cardboard, clean pizza boxes and other boxes with a wavy layer between two layers of linerboard
  • Waxy boxboard

Bags and Packaging

  • Gift wrap, gift bags, tissue paper, candy wrappers, shopping bags


  • Styrofoam packing materials,
    P-nuts, fast-food containers, egg cartons, plates or cups

Contact information

Solid Waste Services Division
Engineering Services Department
P - 519.837.2601
T - 1.866.899.0248
F - 519.837.8138

General Information

All residents in the County of Wellington have access to blue box recycling at no charge.

Curb/roadside collection is provided to residents and businesses in "urban" areas and in rural Erin and rural Guelph/Eramosa. Curb/roadside collection is not provided in any other rural areas. All residents (rural and urban) can take blue box recyclables to any County waste facility.

If you are unsure if you receive curb/roadside collection, contact SWS. Rural households and businesses may use the disposal and blue box recycling services at any County waste facility or hire a private waste hauler. Locate private haulers in the yellow pages under headings such as "Rubbish Removal."

Blue box materials are collected at the curb/road in two streams: Containers and Paper Products (including Corrugated Cardboard). At waste facilities, blue box materials are collected in three streams: Containers, Paper Products and Corrugated Cardboard. It is essential that all materials be prepared and separated properly to help improve operational efficiencies and to ensure that the recyclables are in a suitable condition for processing and the end markets.

Do's and Don'ts


  • Empty and rinse (to remove product residue).
  • Labels do not need to be removed.
  • Leave lids on containers.
  • Place containers loosely in blue box.
  • Push/place the top of tin cans (e.g., soup and vegetables) into the inside of the cans (as many tops will have sharp edges).
  • Do not place any sharp objects with your recyclables, such as broken glass, needles, knives, etc.

Paper products:

  • Place paper products loosely in blue box.
  • Oily, dirty and soiled Paper Products are not recyclable.
  • Remove plastic wrap and other foreign materials, and place in garbage. (Staples do not need to be removed.)
  • Remove hard covers and plastic/metal spines, and place them in the garbage.
  • Remove plastic or metallic liners and food residue, and place them in the garbage.

We DO NOT collect

The following wastes are not acceptable for collection through the curb/roadside blue box and user pay garbage collection programmes (in "urban" areas and in rural Guelph/Eramosa and rural Erin). Please contact SWS if you have any questions.

Sharp Objects
Including any material with a jagged, sharp or pointed edge that is capable of cutting or puncturing (such as broken or pane glass, broken ceramics, knives or razor blades, needles or syringes). Click here for information on medical and non-medical sharps preparation and disposal.